Raphael Park was donated to the public by Lord Raphael in 1905. In the 1930s the park’s pond, known as Spoon or Keyhole Pond, was drained and 12 hard tennis courts were built. The courts were run by Havering Council until 1996 when they were put out to tender.
Since 1997, Hammond Tennis Management has run the courts. Raphael Park Tennis Club was formed in 2001 and became fully LTA affiliated in 2005.
Nurtured by David Hammond, known locally as ‘The Tennis Man’, a friendly, affordable and social club has grown around the courts.
The club’s philosophy is that “anyone can come along and play”.